Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Sisters

 One of the great blessings in this military life is the strong friendships we make. Our friends become more like family, as we share so many of life's experiences together while we are typically all far away from our immediate families. We've shared in all of the highs and lows of life together: engagements, weddings, marital challenges, pregnancies, miscarriages, deployments, homecomings, failures, successes, tragedies, miracles, and death. With this great blessing of friendship, comes one of the toughest parts of this military life: farewells. Unfortunately, I will soon have to say farewell to someone who I have had the privilege of sharing this life with. We were neighbors and friends in the Lowcountry, and our husbands were in the same "unit" (we'll call it) here in the desert. She has become a sister. I will miss "J" (and her sweet-as-pie fam & pup) more than I probably can even anticipate once they go; My heart already aches at the thought.

I made these for "J" and her girls a few weeks ago. I was planning to blog them whenever her baby was born, but what should have been a smooth labor and delivery turned upside-down when L&D triage noticed fetal distress, put an O2 mask on "J", told her that she would need an emergency Cesarean, and twenty minutes later, her baby came into this world. Without going into too much detail, following the emergency section, "J" required a blood transfusion, and her baby spent a week in the NICU. Praise God for keeping watch over and placing His healing hands on their family throughout that tough time. I am happy to share that they're all now home together, and I got to witness "Big Sis" meeting "Lil Sis" a few days ago (that was BY FAR one of the most precious moments of life that I've been so privileged to witness to date).

 Aren't these sweet? I can't wait to see them on the girls!

 
 "This is my Cameo. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Cameo is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Cameo, without me, is useless. Without my Cameo, I am useless. I must fire my Cameo true..." Okay, okay. That's not how the Rifleman's Creed goes, ha! But this is pretty much how I feel about my Silhouette Cameo. ;)

First you design your cuts.
 
Then, if you're using iron-on material, you mirror the image.
 
 I always do a test cut to check that my cut settings match whichever material I am using. (I am using Vinyl Oasis heat transfer glitter vinyl purchased through Amazon.)

Then, I'm ready to cut.

My Cameo works so hard for me! ;)
 
After "weeding" away excess material, I am left with my design!
 
Flip and put on your shirt!!

Press your design onto your shirt with your iron or heatpress (use the provided protective paper).
 
 YAY! Aren't these so darling?! They'll look great at Christmastime with one girl in green and white striped tights, and another in red and white striped tights... or light pink and darker pink, etc. ;) I can't wait until we have children of our own someday if that is our Heavenly Father's plan for us. 

 Lil is so cute. She'll look so darling in this.

Big is already filling her role as Mommy's little helper, wanting to hold Lil soon after they first met.
 
 I love my machine. It is so fun. I made another onesie for Lil (not pictured) with her monogram-- green glitter on a light pink onesie for "J's" love of Lilly Pulitzer. 

Practicing my newfound love of "modern calligraphy." Okay, so I guess this gives away "J's", "Big's", &
"Lil's" names, pahaha.
  
Packaged up in a girly bag for these sweet girls.
 
If you don't have a Silhouette Cameo, go buy one... You will never regret it. 

Also, HAPPY VETERANS DAY to all who have served our country, to those who support their servicemembers, and to both the servicemembers and their families for all of their sacrifices!!! 

Love & Best Wishes
SUGandSASS 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment